Friday, January 30, 2009

The Dog Days of Winter

We thought we were past the puppy training stages, but last night Daisy regressed. She walked right over in front of Travis and peed on the rug. I can’t help but think we never really got her trained to begin with. We just assumed she had picked up the habits from the other dogs. So where do we go from here? I know they respond to the authoritative tones of our voices, but I’m not sure they understand what the words “What the hell were you thinking?” mean. I think we have to take responsibility and recognize that she may have never been trained and that maybe we need to spend more time with her. I don’t believe she did it out of spite, so why get angry at her? She needs to be shown what she did and taught that we do not accept it. That is not proper festing behavior. Dogs are very receptive to being trained, but humans can’t assume they are always successful in training. I hope the Frantz's are having more luck with Bella. Don’t worry, Little Dog, we will work with you, but by George, please don’t let it happen again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I actually had a vet and a trainer tell me that Rufus's continuous "accidents" in the house, were behavioral and he was just acting out. Cause I needed a head-case of a dog. =)